About Me

My photo
Hello, my name is Martin McKenna and I'm the author of THE BOY WHO TALKED TO DOGS, published in New York by Skyhorse and available on Audible.com. This is my memoir of when I was a boy growing up in Limerick, Ireland and ran away to live with a pack of stray dogs for 3 years. These days, I'm Australia's best-known dog communicator. For all media & blog inquiries, please don't hesitate to contact me at: martinmckennadog@hotmail.com or join me on Twitter @dreadlockdogman

Tuesday 5 May 2015

Has this man written the next big Irish classic book?


Has this man written the next big Irish classic book? 

Written by the Dog Man, otherwise known as Martin McKenna, this Irish man lives in Nimbin, the rainforest village in northern NSW. Millions of Australians have heard him dispensing dog advice on ABC Radio. Now word about his unusual childhood with a pack of stray dogs is starting to spread from New York to Brazil.



Just as fascinating as his childhood as a runaway who lived rough on the streets with six dogs for three years, is the equally intriguing story of how Martin McKenna came to write the memoir that many in the publishing industry are tipping to be the next big Irish classic.

In brief: Martin ran away from school when he was 13 and illiterate. He was so dyslexic that he could barely read and write his own name. One bully teacher even nicknamed him ‘Stupid Boy’, constantly mocking and beating him for not learning until Martin swore he’d never pick up a pen again.

He only learned to read and write in 2009 when he desperately wanted to write his poems down so he wouldn’t forget them. His wife Lee taught him, using an exercise book and a pen. It was very difficult and frustrating but he learned using his own poetry. Due to his popularity on radio – especially ABC programs around the country – he had a ghost writer write his first book, The Dog Man. Then he wrote two books on dog language in his natural conversational style, What’s Your Dog Telling You?, which became a runaway bestseller in 2011,
and What’s Your Dog Teaching You? (ABC/HarperCollins)

After featuring in an RTE Irish radio documentary, he decided it was time to write his memoir and finally share the full story about his unusual childhood. He wrote three chapters and sent it off to various literary agents around the world. Within three weeks, 11 agents were interested. He signed with Daniel Lazar of the prestigious literary agency, the Writers House in New York. The unfinished manuscript was bought by Skyhorse publishers, also in New York and he finished it. The book was endorsed by Irish-American literary giant, Malachy McCourt. Then Audible.com quickly bought the rights and made an audio version of the book, with an American actor reading it. It’s now published in North America, Canada, Australia and Brazil.

‘Brazil being interested in the book is mind-blowing,’ says Martin. ‘It’s an incredible honor for me. They’re interested in me being a street kid because as a nation, they’re now working hard to solve the problems of severe poverty in the favelas around the cities of Brazil. Homeless, rebellious boys of 13 to 16 are particularly at risk of being absorbed into drug gangs, so Brazilians are fascinated by my inspiring story. I’m an example of how a street kid can get turned around during his lifetime and actually become a success.’
‘It’s been very exciting,’ he says. ‘The first run of hardcovers in Australia sold out quickly and now it’s coming out in paperback. It’s also just become available on Audible.com. I think people are really going to love the book. It’s a powerful story that’s very inspiring. I think there are a lot of people who found genuine help from a dog when they were a kid. Whether it was your own pet or a strange dog down the park or a just familiar dog down the road – dogs are amazing at putting a smile back on your face again. They’re very gifted at healing your soul after it’s been dented around a bit by a human bully.’
 
What does he think of the growing success of his memoir? ‘I’m not sure,’ he says, bemused. ‘A bit shocked I think. I love this book and am extremely proud of it. My beloved Mammy, Sigrid and dad, Mick, sadly both deceased, would be very happy with the way I’ve written the story. It gives honor to my family and explains how the little known condition of ADHD was to blame for me being so uncontrollable. However, this book also captures the adventure and rebellious spirit of my childhood perfectly – and I think a lot of people are going to find peace in their own past by reading it. I constantly look for the hilarious side of situations, so this book is very optimistic and mischievous. It will remind you of how funny life seems when you’re a kid – everything’s so new and strange - and fast! Do you remember how you used to run everywhere?’

‘It was a wonderful honor having literary giant Malachy McCourt endorse my book. You can see it on the front cover of the book. It’s a bit surreal seeing my book that started as a pile of messily scribbled pages become this amazing looking book with Malachy’s name on the cover. I never thought I’d ever be able to write my own name properly when I was a kid, let alone write a book that got published in America. I’ve just heard the audio version with an actor reading it on Audible.com and it sounds fantastic. Very fast and exciting.’  

Now Martin is retiring from the dog rescue industry to pursue his more creative side as an artist-poet, painting his poems on large, abstract canvases and is thrilled at the prospect. ‘It’s a big claim but I want to be known as the greatest artist-poet of the 21st century. I’m working hard and fearlessly every day towards that goal. Only history will tell if I’ve succeeded.’ 

No comments:

Post a Comment